David Sheppard House
This historic house was built in 1791 by David Sheppard, a farmer by trade. It was one of the first homes built in Bridgeton, and served as the family residence until 1860, when it became a boarding home for girls. Wu & Associates renovated the structure in 2007, paving the way for its use as a Rutgers University facility. The existing structure was reinforced through foundation work and structural joist repairs, and interior wood fireplaces and flooring were restored. Historically accurate doors and hardware were installed, to preserve the character and charm of the original building. HVAC, electric, plumbing, and fire alarm systems were also installed, to allow for improved safety and comfort of the building’s modern day occupants.
Wu & Associates was awarded the Heritage Citizenship Award by the City of Bridgeton, for achievement in preservation.
Location: Bridgeton, NJ
Owner: Rutgers University
Architect: Watson & Henry Associates